HOW ARE THE KIDS?
Our kids are well! Given the fluidity of this outbreak, Boys & Girls Haven leadership are constantly evaluating the best means and methods to ensure the well-being of our kids and staff. Currently, we have eliminated campus outings, restricted outside visitors, and are following all recommendations and guidelines communicated by the CDC, national and local governments, and the Department for Community Based Services.
We will be here as long as our kids need us. While businesses, churches, and community venues are forced to temporarily close their doors for the safety of our community, Boys & Girls Haven staff continue to stand in the gap for the young people under our roof – each and every day.
HOW CAN I HELP?
The economic impact of COVID-19 will have an immediate impact on our financial stability. Please consider a financial contribution.
Click here to make a donation now.
Advocate (URGENT action needed!)
WE NEED YOUR VOICE to ensure our state and federal leaders prioritize vulnerable young people and the organizations that help them thrive. See below for two immediate messages you can send to your legislators regarding funding focuses for the next COVID-19 Relief Bill (currently under consideration by congress):
- Increase COVID-19 relief for agencies serving vulnerable young people in the child welfare system (click for sample language and a list of requested action items)
- Increase COVID-19 relief for young people aging out of foster care (click for sample language and a list of requested action items)
How do I contact my legislators?
- EMAIL or SEND A MESSAGE: Email or sending a message through a contact form is the best method to reach Members of Congress right now. The following website will pull up your state Senators and your member from the House of Representatives and allow you to quickly send them each a message: democracy.io
- FACEBOOK: Find a post that has to do with the crisis on their feed and add a comment stating requested funding intiatives. Search for your Congress Member here: https://www.facebook.com/townhall.
- TWEET: Tag your legislators in a tweet that states your position and desired action. Find your Members of Congress on Twitter here: http://www.tweetcongress.org/tweeters.
Emergent needs continue to arise in our programs. Click here for our Amazon wish list with some suggested items, but here is an idea of our most requested items:
Medical Supplies: Our campus nurse is running low on several medical supplies including masks, gloves, hand sanitizer, disinfectant wipes, disposable gowns, and paper cups (for dispensing medication). These items are all on back order.
Tablets with Cameras: For safety purposes, many social workers around the state are currently only able to meet with our young people via video services like Zoom and FaceTime. We need more tablets and/or laptops equipped with cameras to meet this need.
Youth Activities: Like many families across the region, our kids are out of school and unable to work. This means they have a lot more free time. We are looking for donations of teen-friendly LEGO and building sets, activity/ books, puzzles, journals, playing cards, board games, and other appropriate activities for older youth.
HELP FOR THE COMMUNITY
MENTAL HEALTH AND SELF CARE: Are you or someone you love struggling with anxiety and depression during this crisis? Please click here for some helpful resources and/or to schedule a telehealth appointment with our trained therapists.
GRAVY CUP PARTNERS: Over 40 regional restaurants and chefs helped us raise money for the tweens and teens in our programs via the Gravy Cup. Click here for a list of some of these compassionate restaurants who are offering delivery and curb-side pickup during the crisis.